Summary of A Magna Carta for the Web

Looking for the video?
We have the summary! Get the key insights in just 5 minutes.

A Magna Carta for the Web summary
Start getting smarter:
or see our plans




  • Innovative


In 2014, the World Wide Web celebrated its 25th birthday. To mark the occasion, computer scientist and father of the web, Tim Berners-Lee, took to the TED stage to elucidate the web’s achievements as well as its perils and shortcomings. Though Berners-Lee appears uncomfortable on stage, the nervous delivery of his oration doesn’t undercut the gravity of his words. He appeals to the public to help crowdsource a bill of rights for the web to protect Internet users’ privacy and access to information. getAbstract recommends Berners-Lee’s stark assessment to policy makers and anyone concerned with safeguarding their rights online.

About the Speaker

Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web in 1989. He is director of the World Wide Web Consortium, which maintains standards for the web and continues to refine its design.



In 1989, Tim Berners-Lee, then working at CERN, wrote the code that created the World Wide Web. He worked on his idea as a “side project,” but with much persuasion and collaboration, Berners-Lee and his colleagues managed to make the network function. Since its inception, the web’s popularity has skyrocketed. By 2014, 40% of the global population was using the web. That figure is growing. Mobile solutions will be integral to connecting the remaining 60% – the world’s current nonusers – to the web.

You may be forgiven for believing that the web has been a success and that developers can now rest on their laurels. Yes...

More on this topic

Customers who read this summary also read

Will the Future Be Human?
Investing in People vs. Managing Human Capital

Related Channels

Comment on this summary