Summary of Who

Looking for the book?
We have the summary! Get the key insights in just 10 minutes.

Who book summary
Start getting smarter:
or see our plans

Rating

8 Overall

10 Applicability

8 Innovation

8 Style


Recommendation

Geoff Smart and Randy Street offer a clear, sensible strategy for finding, selecting and recruiting the best candidates for jobs you are trying to fill. Their process, called the “A Method for Hiring,” begins with a step many managers neglect: preparing a focused, specific description of the results you will expect from the person who gets the job. The authors describe the four steps of their hiring method in just the right amount of detail, neither bogging the reader down in minutiae nor leaving important matters to the imagination. They use real-life anecdotes to connect their advice to actual business problems and issues. Many books about human resources tend to be long on vague generalizations and short on actionable, how-to information. getAbstract thinks this book is a standout and recommends its straightforward ideas to anyone who is responsible for hiring.

In this summary, you will learn

  • How to use the “A Method for Hiring”;
  • How to identify, interview and select top talent; and
  • How to sell prospects on working for your company.
 

About the Authors

Geoff Smart, Ph.D., co-authored Topgrading with his father, Brad Smart. He is chair and CEO of ghSMART, a management assessment firm where Randy Street is the president.

 

Summary

Who to Hire – and How
Your goal when you hire someone for your organization is to find an “A Player,” a superstar employee who “has at least a 90% chance of achieving a set of outcomes that only the top 10% of possible candidates could achieve.” Hiring the wrong person can incur additional...

More on this topic

Customers who read this summary also read

Hiring & Firing
Hiring & Firing
7
Scaling Teams
Scaling Teams
8
Lose the Resume, Land the Job
Lose the Resume, Land the Job
8
The Big Book of HR
The Big Book of HR
7
How to Hire the Right Person
How to Hire the Right Person
8
The Ideal Team Player
The Ideal Team Player
8

Related Channels

Comment on this summary